First of all, what is inflammation? Inflammation is the body’s natural defense against illness to stimulate healing. This sounds good, right? However, sustained inflammation can lead to worsening health problems like diabetes and heart disease.
I’m sure you’ve experienced inflammation before, maybe you got a paper cut or bit your cuticle and it got a little inflamed, maybe you banged your knee on a chair and it got bruised and a little swollen - these are small examples of how we experience it naturally and the body works to help us recover.
But what happens when it’s not a bad manicure or being clumsy that causes our inflammation? Is it possible that some foods may cause inflammation of our gut? It sure is, and that’s what I’m here to share.
Here are 6 Types of Foods & Examples that Cause Inflammation in the Body:⠀
1. Sugar and high-fructose corn syrup: Surprising examples of where to find this are sweetened yogurt and salad dressing.
2. Artificial trans fats - Can be found in common foods like microwave popcorn and baked goods.
3. Vegetable oils & seed oil - Can also be found in salad dressings and condiments like mayo.
4. Refined Carbohydrates - Examples of this are pastas and breakfast cereal
5. Excessive alcohol - Vodka, Whiskey, Gin, Tequila, Rum, Beer, Wine, etc.
6. Processed Meats - Examples of this are deli meats, sausage, and beef jerky. ⠀
Does that mean you can never have these things again?
No, of course not. Everything in moderation.
But should you eat your body weight in vegetable oil coated turkey slices from the deli while downing a bottle of vodka every day? No, probably not and ew, don’t do that 🤢⠀